Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Weird yellow spots

Discussion in 'Issues, Disease and Pests' started by Mat Brutger, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Mat Brutger

Mat Brutger Active Member

Does anyone know what sort of disease/pest these yellow spots are? I’ve never seen anything like it in my collection.

Attached Files:

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know what that is. Does it scrape off? Have you tried putting some alcohol on it to see if that does anything.

3. Mat Brutger

It wipes off but not very easily. I treated it with Prontech but that didn’t do anything. I’ll try just alcohol. It’s luckily contained to just that plant and not even the new growth above it on the mount

4. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

Does it look like a yellow powder bursting through the leaves? Similar symptoms on other plants are caused by rust fungi. Rust infections are pretty rare in orchids.
    There are a variety of systemic fungicides that can treat rust infections.
    Good thing is that most rust fungi species are very host-specific and capable to parasitize on closely-related plants only. Is it Ornitocephalus infected? If so, it could potentially spread to other Ornitocephalus species but won't affect distantly related orchid genera.

5. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

Mat, I sent you a PM.

6. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

With a magnifying glass do the yellow spots (individual bumps) look identical? Just wondering if they are insect eggs.

7. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Agreeing with Raven, it really looks like classic rust to me, the only thing is I’ve never seen this on Orchids. It almost looks like Myrtle Rust or even one I’ve seen on Oxalis. In outdoor plantings of non-Orchids, we have been successful with an off the shelf fungicide like Daconil. I would recommend a dip rather than spraying if only one plant and brush off all the spores with a toothbrush while wet. Usually rust occurs when plants are a little too moist, particularly at night. Watching that and increasing airflow can help prevent further infection.

Mat Brutger likes this.
  8. Mat Brutger

Thanks everyone!